2009

Schroders achieves a gold award in the Green 500 awards for taking action to reduce carbon emissions.

2008

Schroders acquires the Singapore-based private client advisory unit of Commonwealth Bank of Australia.

Schroders' volunteering policy is opened up to global offices, with 40 employees from all over the world heading to China to build houses with Habitat for Humanity and taking part in Schroders' fourth Community Challenge.

Schroders becomes a member of Green 500 in the UK. The Green 500 is a pioneering carbon mentoring scheme that aims to recognise and acknowledge the London organisations that take action to reduce their CO2 emissions.

2007

Schroders acquires Aareal Asset Management GmbH. Schroders expands its presence in India and the Middle East with the opening of offices in Mumbai and Dubai.

2006

Schroders completes the acquisition of NewFinance Capital, a UK-based hedge fund business.

2004

Schroders celebrates its 200th anniversary.

2001

Schroders acquired Beaumont, an absolute return asset management business focusing on high net worth individuals and professional investors.

Schroders is listed within the FTSE4Good, DJSI World and DJSI STOXX indexes.

2000

Schroders sells its investment banking business to Salomon Smith Barney. Asset management and related businesses now comprise the whole of Schroders plc's business.

Schroders continues to be well established in Europe, Asia Pacific and the Americas, as a leading international company.

 

1994

Schroders acquired the remaining 50% of Wertheim, which it later renamed Schroder and Co. Inc.

1986

Schroders acquires a 50% interest in Wertheim & Co. Inc., a leading New York investment bank and securities firm and Schrobanco is sold to the Industrial Bank of Japan.

1985

Schroder Darling becomes Schroders Australia following the acquisition of the interests of the other shareholders. At the same time Schroders Australia sells its commercial banking book thereafter focusing on corporate finance, capital market, treasury, real estate and investment management activities.

1978

The Darling Fund becomes Australia's largest mutual fund with $7.8million invested.

1975

The closer integration of the firm into the Schroder group led to it being named Schroder, Darling & Co. Schroder Darling expanded its operations significantly. It conducted the full range of merchant banking activities and also had significant interests in a wool broker, a leasing firm and an Indonesian venture capital undertaking.

1972

Darling Property Fund Limited launched and listed on the Australian Stock Exchange. In 1980 this fund changed its name to become the Schroder Darling Property Fund and then again in 1986 it became the Schroders Property Fund in 1986. Schroders Property Fund Limited with A$3billion under management was sold to AMP Diversified Property Trust for A$117.5 million in 1999.

1969

Darling Dual Fund Limited was launched and listed on the Australian Stock Exchange. This fund changed name in 1980 to Schroder Darling Dual Fund. It was subsequently sold to Argo Investments in 1990 and is now known as Clipper Investments.

1968

Schroder Wagg launches the Trans-Australia Investment Trust which in early days was closely identified with the Broken Hill Proprietary and Western Mining.

1964

The Darling Fund was launched in Australia. This fund subsequently changed its name to the Schroder Australian Equity Fund and is now one of Australia's oldest running funds.

1962

Schroders merges with Helbert, Wagg & Co., a stock broking firm founded in 1823, which specialised in issues for domestic clients and develops into an important investment advisory side to its business.

1961

Helbert, Wagg establishes a venture in Australia with prominent business man, John Darling. Several other firms participate in the venture including the Bank of New South Wales, Ord Minnett, T J Thompson & Partners; Binder Hamlyn & Co, and Jardine Matheson & Co. The firm in which Helbert Wagg have a 23.5% interest was called Darling and Company Ltd. It opened in Sydney and was one of the first Australian merchant banks.

1960s - 1970s

Schroders develops a presence in each of the major financial markets of the world. Subsidiary and Associated companies are established to undertake investment banking activities in Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, Switzerland and other Continental European countries.

1959

Schroders becomes a quoted public company and is listed on the London Stock Exchange. Helmut Schroder is appointed as Chairman and remains until 1965.

1957

The name of J. Henry Schröder & Co. is anglicised and the partnership is converted into a private company.

1940

Helmut Schröder becomes the firm's senior partner. He also becomes Chairman of Schrobanco which continues to develop as an independently managed US banking firm.

1926

J. Henry Schröder & Co. develops the investment management activities of the firm and an investment department was created.

1923

One of the key consequences of the First World War was the emergence of New York as a financial centre to rival London. In 1923 the Schroder partners took advantage of this, establishing a firm in New York, the J Henry Schröder Banking Corporation or Schrobanco as it came to be called.

1910

Bruno Schröder inherits the London firm.

1900 – 1914

The beginning of the 20th century was a glorious time for Schroders. One of the highlights of this period was the firm's decision to buy out a £15 million loan on behalf of the Brazilian state of Sao Paulo. These funds were required for an ingenious and controversial scheme to stabilise the price of coffee. The success of this initiative enormously enhanced Schroders' reputation, and it was a key factor in establishing the firm in the top tier of London merchant banks.

 

1895

(Rudolph) Bruno Schröder, became a partner and immediately revises how the business operates considerably increasing profits. Along with his partner, Frank Tiarks, he goes on to lead the business for the first four decades of the twentieth century.

1870

Schroders introduces the Japanese government's first foreign loan to the London market. This raises £1 million to finance the construction of the Tokyo-Yokohama railway. Upon repayment, Schroders was presented with a testimonial on silk by the Minister of Finance, thanking the firm for the 'trouble' that they had taken in connection with this loan.

1869

Schroders' strong connections with Latin America led to the firm being appointed as the British agent for the sale of Peruvian guano – an important fertiliser at the time. A specialist department was established to handle the guano business and for the next decade it made a significant contribution to the firm's profits.

1850s - 1860s

J. Henry Schröder & Co takes a big step forward when it begins issuing bonds for overseas borrowers in the London market. The firm's first bond was given to merchants in the Cuban sugar trade to finance the Matanzas and Sabanilla Railway.

1850

Schröder Stiftung, a charitable trust, was launched.

1818

J. Henry Schröder & Co. was established.

1804

Schroders' history began in 1804 when Johann Heinrich Schroder became a partner in his brother's London-based firm. The company rapidly became a prosperous business, focusing on the finance of trade between America and Europe, particularly in tobacco, cotton, sugar and rice.

21st Century

2009

Schroders achieves a gold award in the Green 500 awards for taking action to reduce carbon emissions.

2008

Schroders acquires the Singapore-based private client advisory unit of Commonwealth Bank of Australia.

Schroders' volunteering policy is opened up to global offices, with 40 employees from all over the world heading to China to build houses with Habitat for Humanity and taking part in Schroders' fourth Community Challenge.

Schroders becomes a member of Green 500 in the UK. The Green 500 is a pioneering carbon mentoring scheme that aims to recognise and acknowledge the London organisations that take action to reduce their CO2 emissions.

2007

Schroders acquires Aareal Asset Management GmbH. Schroders expands its presence in India and the Middle East with the opening of offices in Mumbai and Dubai.

2006

Schroders completes the acquisition of NewFinance Capital, a UK-based hedge fund business.

2004

Schroders celebrates its 200th anniversary.

2001

Schroders acquired Beaumont, an absolute return asset management business focusing on high net worth individuals and professional investors.

Schroders is listed within the FTSE4Good, DJSI World and DJSI STOXX indexes.

2000

Schroders sells its investment banking business to Salomon Smith Barney. Asset management and related businesses now comprise the whole of Schroders plc's business.

Schroders continues to be well established in Europe, Asia Pacific and the Americas, as a leading international company.

 

20th Century

1994

Schroders acquired the remaining 50% of Wertheim, which it later renamed Schroder and Co. Inc.

1986

Schroders acquires a 50% interest in Wertheim & Co. Inc., a leading New York investment bank and securities firm and Schrobanco is sold to the Industrial Bank of Japan.

1985

Schroder Darling becomes Schroders Australia following the acquisition of the interests of the other shareholders. At the same time Schroders Australia sells its commercial banking book thereafter focusing on corporate finance, capital market, treasury, real estate and investment management activities.

1978

The Darling Fund becomes Australia's largest mutual fund with $7.8million invested.

1975

The closer integration of the firm into the Schroder group led to it being named Schroder, Darling & Co. Schroder Darling expanded its operations significantly. It conducted the full range of merchant banking activities and also had significant interests in a wool broker, a leasing firm and an Indonesian venture capital undertaking.

1972

Darling Property Fund Limited launched and listed on the Australian Stock Exchange. In 1980 this fund changed its name to become the Schroder Darling Property Fund and then again in 1986 it became the Schroders Property Fund in 1986. Schroders Property Fund Limited with A$3billion under management was sold to AMP Diversified Property Trust for A$117.5 million in 1999.

1969

Darling Dual Fund Limited was launched and listed on the Australian Stock Exchange. This fund changed name in 1980 to Schroder Darling Dual Fund. It was subsequently sold to Argo Investments in 1990 and is now known as Clipper Investments.

1968

Schroder Wagg launches the Trans-Australia Investment Trust which in early days was closely identified with the Broken Hill Proprietary and Western Mining.

1964

The Darling Fund was launched in Australia. This fund subsequently changed its name to the Schroder Australian Equity Fund and is now one of Australia's oldest running funds.

1962

Schroders merges with Helbert, Wagg & Co., a stock broking firm founded in 1823, which specialised in issues for domestic clients and develops into an important investment advisory side to its business.

1961

Helbert, Wagg establishes a venture in Australia with prominent business man, John Darling. Several other firms participate in the venture including the Bank of New South Wales, Ord Minnett, T J Thompson & Partners; Binder Hamlyn & Co, and Jardine Matheson & Co. The firm in which Helbert Wagg have a 23.5% interest was called Darling and Company Ltd. It opened in Sydney and was one of the first Australian merchant banks.

1960s - 1970s

Schroders develops a presence in each of the major financial markets of the world. Subsidiary and Associated companies are established to undertake investment banking activities in Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, Switzerland and other Continental European countries.

1959

Schroders becomes a quoted public company and is listed on the London Stock Exchange. Helmut Schroder is appointed as Chairman and remains until 1965.

1957

The name of J. Henry Schröder & Co. is anglicised and the partnership is converted into a private company.

1940

Helmut Schröder becomes the firm's senior partner. He also becomes Chairman of Schrobanco which continues to develop as an independently managed US banking firm.

1926

J. Henry Schröder & Co. develops the investment management activities of the firm and an investment department was created.

1923

One of the key consequences of the First World War was the emergence of New York as a financial centre to rival London. In 1923 the Schroder partners took advantage of this, establishing a firm in New York, the J Henry Schröder Banking Corporation or Schrobanco as it came to be called.

1910

Bruno Schröder inherits the London firm.

1900 – 1914

The beginning of the 20th century was a glorious time for Schroders. One of the highlights of this period was the firm's decision to buy out a £15 million loan on behalf of the Brazilian state of Sao Paulo. These funds were required for an ingenious and controversial scheme to stabilise the price of coffee. The success of this initiative enormously enhanced Schroders' reputation, and it was a key factor in establishing the firm in the top tier of London merchant banks.

 

19th Century

1895

(Rudolph) Bruno Schröder, became a partner and immediately revises how the business operates considerably increasing profits. Along with his partner, Frank Tiarks, he goes on to lead the business for the first four decades of the twentieth century.

1870

Schroders introduces the Japanese government's first foreign loan to the London market. This raises £1 million to finance the construction of the Tokyo-Yokohama railway. Upon repayment, Schroders was presented with a testimonial on silk by the Minister of Finance, thanking the firm for the 'trouble' that they had taken in connection with this loan.

1869

Schroders' strong connections with Latin America led to the firm being appointed as the British agent for the sale of Peruvian guano – an important fertiliser at the time. A specialist department was established to handle the guano business and for the next decade it made a significant contribution to the firm's profits.

1850s - 1860s

J. Henry Schröder & Co takes a big step forward when it begins issuing bonds for overseas borrowers in the London market. The firm's first bond was given to merchants in the Cuban sugar trade to finance the Matanzas and Sabanilla Railway.

1850

Schröder Stiftung, a charitable trust, was launched.

1818

J. Henry Schröder & Co. was established.

1804

Schroders' history began in 1804 when Johann Heinrich Schroder became a partner in his brother's London-based firm. The company rapidly became a prosperous business, focusing on the finance of trade between America and Europe, particularly in tobacco, cotton, sugar and rice.