Company History

A long and trusted heritage

With a history dating back to the mid-nineteenth century, Schroders continues to be one of the 100 largest companies on the London Stock Exchange where we have been listed since 1959.

The cornerstone of our success is our ability to create value in line with evolving client and shareholder needs by identifying the opportunities most suited to our style of working during times of market change.

200 Years of Forward Thinking


Acquired Cazenove Capital Holdings, a leading independent wealth management and investment funds business.


Acquired Aareal Asset Management GmbH, a Pan European property asset manager based in Germany.

Entered into partnership with Citibank to make international mutual funds available in China.


Acquired NewFinance Capital, a London-based manager of funds of hedge funds.

Schroders obtained QFII Iicence and investment quota of US$200 million in China.


August - Schroders set up fund management JV with Bank of Communications and China International Marine Containers (Group) in China

September - the JV launched the first equity fund for Chinese investors.

2004 Schroders plc celebrated its 200th anniversary.
2000 Schroders sold its investment banking business to Salomon Smith Barney. Asset management and related businesses now comprise the whole of Schroders plc's business.
1994 Schroders acquired the remaining 50% of Wertheim which it later renamed Schroder & Co. Inc.
1986 Schroders sold Schrobanco to the Industrial Bank of Japan and acquired a 50% interest in Wertheim & Co. Inc. in New York.
Subsidiary and associated companies were established to undertake investment banking activities in Switzerland and other European countries, and in Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore and Australia.
1963 Bruno Schroder, son of Helmut, was appointed to the Board of Schroders Limited.
1962 Schroders acquired Helbert, Wagg & Co.
1959 Schroders Limited became a quoted public company and was listed on the London Stock Exchange.
1957 The name of J. Henry Schröder & Co. was anglicised and the partnership converted into a private company.

Baron Bruno's son, Helmut, and Frank Tiarks' son, Henry, both aged 25, joined their fathers as partners.

J. Henry Schröder & Co. created an investment department, a novelty in the City of London.

The European financial crisis of 1931 inflicted substantial losses and froze a large part of the firm's assets for more than two decades. Survival was J. Henry Schröder & Co.'s foremost achievement in the depression and war years between 1931 and 1945.

1924 Schroders formed its first investment trust, focusing on Continental Europe securities.
1923 J. Henry Schröder Banking Corporation, known as Schrobanco, opened on Wall Street.
1919 J. Henry Schröder & Co. resumed its position as a leading acceptance house.
1914 WWI broke out creating a crisis for J. Henry Schröder & Co. as Baron Bruno’s German nationality meant that the firm was liable to be seized as enemy property. Baron Bruno was naturalised and granted a licence to reside and trade in the United Kingdom.
1910 At the death of John Henry, Bruno Schröder inherited the firm. The City of London expanded rapidly as a financial centre. New activities such as foreign exchange dealing, securities arbitrage and commodities futures trading all evolved and Sterling was the world's leading reserve currency.
1909 J. Henry Schröder & Co. was now one of London’s leading issuers for foreign loans. In terms of capital and its acceptance business, it was London’s second largest merchant bank.
1895 (Rudolph) Bruno Schröder, John Henry's nephew, became a partner.
1870 Schroders introduced the Japanese Government's first foreign loan to the London market, raising £1 million to finance the construction of the Tokyo-Yokohama Railway.
1863 Having successfully undertaken its first bond issue for the Matanzas and Sabanilla Railway in Cuba, J. Henry Schröder & Co. issued £3 million in bonds for the Confederate States of America, the only foreign funding obtained by either side in the American Civil War.
1849 Johann Heinrich's son, John Henry (aged 24) and Alexander Schlüsser, an experienced merchant, took over the London firm.
1818 Johann Heinrich Schröder established J. Henry Schröder & Co.
1804 Johann Heinrich Schröder from Hamburg became a partner in his brother's London based firm J. F. Schröder Co.