Schroders senior economists see risks of deflation in the eurozone and a hard landing in China but upside potential from a G7 boom, lower energy prices and fiscal stimulus in the eurozone.
3 March 2015
In this month's Viewpoint:
- Forecast update: Global tilt toward advanced economies
- European forecast update: Upgrades all round
- EM forecast update: Oil on troubled waters or fuel for the fire?
- Views at a glance
Forecast update: Global tilt toward advanced economies (page 2)
• An acceleration in the advanced economies is offset by weaker growth in the emerging markets to leave our global growth forecast at 2.8% in 2015. Lower oil prices, a stronger US dollar and Fed tightening tip the benefits of growth toward the developed markets. "Beggar thy neighbour" currency devaluation should help the Eurozone and Japan beat consensus, but at the expense of others.
• Inflation in the advanced economies is expected to record its lowest rate for five years in 2015, but pick up in 2016 as the impact of the lower energy price fades. We do not expect the Eurozone or the wider world economy to slip into sustained deflation, although our scenario analysis shows the risks to the baseline are still weighted in this direction.
European forecast update: Upgrades all round (page 7)
• It is a sea of green in Europe as we upgrade our growth forecast across the board. In the Eurozone, lower energy prices, a depreciating euro, stronger banks and ECB QE should all help lift growth in 2015 and 2016. The forecast for the UK has also been revised up, but the economy is on a slowing trend. Lower energy prices will help provide a soft landing.
Emerging market forecast update: Oil on troubled waters or fuel for the fire? (page 11)
• Oil’s decline has a mixed impact on the BRIC economies, with Russia an obvious loser. While inflation falls in India and China, the growth benefit is limited, and Brazil’s domestic problems outweigh international considerations. Meanwhile, the Fed hike looms and emerging markets are still looking vulnerable.
Important Information: This communication is marketing material. The views and opinions contained herein are those of the author(s) on this page, and may not necessarily represent views expressed or reflected in other Schroders communications, strategies or funds. This material is intended to be for information purposes only and is not intended as promotional material in any respect. The material is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument. It is not intended to provide and should not be relied on for accounting, legal or tax advice, or investment recommendations. Reliance should not be placed on the views and information in this document when taking individual investment and/or strategic decisions. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results. The value of an investment can go down as well as up and is not guaranteed. All investments involve risks including the risk of possible loss of principal. Information herein is believed to be reliable but Schroders does not warrant its completeness or accuracy. Some information quoted was obtained from external sources we consider to be reliable. No responsibility can be accepted for errors of fact obtained from third parties, and this data may change with market conditions. This does not exclude any duty or liability that Schroders has to its customers under any regulatory system. Regions/ sectors shown for illustrative purposes only and should not be viewed as a recommendation to buy/sell. The opinions in this material include some forecasted views. We believe we are basing our expectations and beliefs on reasonable assumptions within the bounds of what we currently know. However, there is no guarantee than any forecasts or opinions will be realised. These views and opinions may change. To the extent that you are in North America, this content is issued by Schroder Investment Management North America Inc., an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of Schroders plc and SEC registered adviser providing asset management products and services to clients in the US and Canada. For all other users, this content is issued by Schroder Investment Management Limited, 31 Gresham Street, London, EC2V 7QA. Registered No. 1893220 England. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.