Quarterly markets review - Q4 2015
An overview of markets in Q4 2015, when global equities posted positive returns and the Federal Reserve finally raised interest rates.
- Global equities delivered positive returns for the fourth quarter despite generally poor performance in December. Government bond markets broadly reflected the policy trajectories of the world’s major central banks.
- US equities gained over the quarter. The Federal Reserve increased its main policy rate in December following strong domestic macroeconomic data.
- Eurozone equities posted positive returns overall, buoyed by hopes for further quantitative easing. However, the eventual announcement disappointed investors and weighed on returns in December.
- Japan was the best performing equity market over the quarter. A sharp rebound in October was driven by a recovery in cyclical sectors.
- Emerging market equities underperformed their developed world counterparts. The Chinese equity market posted a solid gain as the central bank provided further support to the economy. Economic data in Brazil continued to deteriorate.
Important information: The views and opinions contained herein are those of the author(s) on this page, and may not necessarily represent views expressed or reflected in other Schroders communications, strategies or funds. This article is intended to be for information purposes only and it is not intended as promotional material in any respect. The material is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument. The material is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, accounting, legal or tax advice, or investment recommendations. Information herein is believed to be reliable but Schroders does not warrant its completeness or accuracy. No responsibility can be accepted for errors of fact or opinion. Reliance should not be placed on the views and information in the document when taking individual investment and/or strategic decisions. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results, prices of shares and the income from them may fall as well as rise and investors may not get back the amount originally invested. Issued by Schroder Investment Management Limited, 31 Gresham Street, London EC2V 7QA, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. For your security, communications may be taped or monitored.