Monthly Markets Review
Overview of markets in August 2017
- Escalating US-North Korea tensions and Hurricane Harvey’s Texas landfall weighed on sentiment but economic data remained largely positive.
- US equities were supported by generally positive economic data, including an upward revision to second quarter GDP growth. However, the energy sector performed poorly in the wake of Hurricane Harvey.
- Eurozone equities declined and the stronger euro was a headwind. The euro’s gains came as domestic economic indicators remained robust.
- UK shares gained with some less economically-sensitive sectors performing well while the mining sector was boosted by encouraging economic news from China.
- Japanese equities posted only a small decline as a positive corporate earnings season helped offset worries about North Korea and a stronger yen.
- Emerging market equities outperformed developed markets. Higher commodity prices supported stockmarkets in Latin America.
- North Korea-related concerns contributed to government bond yields declining. Speeches from central bank chiefs Janet Yellen and Mario Draghi at the Jackson Hole symposium were notable for their lack of hawkish sentiment.
For Accredited Investors Only. This document is intended to be for information purposes only and it is not intended as promotional material in any respect. The material is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument and is not intended to provide and should not be relied upon for accounting, legal or tax advice, or investment recommendations.
The information in this market outlook is derived from sources which we consider to be reliable. However, it may not in all cases be verified independently and we do not attest to its completeness or accuracy. No responsibility can be accepted for errors of fact or opinion. Forecasts may be the consensus of extremely divergent possibilities and the full range of potential outcomes should be appreciated. No representation or warranty is made that any value (or proximity to) any value, return or forecast will be achieved. The opinions expressed are those of employees of Schroder & Co. (Asia) Limited, and reflect their judgement at this date and are subject to change. Reliance should not be placed on the views and information in this market outlook when taking individual investment and/or strategic decisions.
No part of this document may be reproduced in any manner without the prior written permission of Schroder & Co. (Asia) Limited.