Vídeos (em inglês)
How will climate change affect investment decisions?
Today is the UN Climate Action Summit for 2019. Heads of state from countries around the world are gathering in New York to discuss plans to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and slow the pace of global warming.
This follows a day of global climate protests on Friday 20 September, including the now-regular “Fridays For Future” school strikes started by teenage Swedish activist Greta Thunberg.
- Read more here about Greta Thunberg, “flight shame” and the impact of climate change on Swedish airlines.
Taking account of climate change is becoming increasingly important when making investment decisions too. In the short video above, fund manager Simon Webber explains why.
“Climate change is important to investors because we are in a period of very significant change.
“The goals set out in the Paris agreement to tackle climate change require a complete decarbonisation of the global economy.
“That means all kinds of industries will need new production technologies and new ways of manufacturing.
“That will require a whole new set of products, services and technologies than we have used in the past.
“We think it will be very important for investors to avoid the industries and the companies that are not well positioned for that change.
Why is this important now?
“Some of the most important climate change technologies, such as renewable energy or electric vehicles, have come of age.
“The cost of these technologies have come down to the point that they are competitive, rather than requiring a lot of subsidy or taxpayer funding.
“They are the cheapest forms of power generation. In the case of electric vehicles, they will be the cheapest form of mobility.
“That means we can begin to meet our objectives under the climate change agreement with competitive technologies. And that means the inflection points, the growth of those technologies, can be incredibly strong.”
Unstructured Learning Time
- Simon Webber
- Climate Change
- Global Transformation
Histórias em destaque
- Como as empresas sustentáveis se saíram durante a crise do Covid-19?
- Covid-19: por que as gigantes da tecnologia surgiram como vencedoras
- David Docherty: Como a crise do Covid-19 afetou nossos investimentos temáticos favoritos?
- Watch: Europe's response to coronavirus assessed
- Peter Harrison: Como o setor de investimentos pode ajudar durante a crise do Covid
- Keith Wade: Coronavírus deve provocar grave recessão global