Caspar Rock: Monday markets - the week ahead on 27 January
The likely spread of the coronavirus continues to preoccupy markets. This week sees central bank meetings, a range of tech and other companies' earnings announcements and an early snapshot of US growth.
- Central bank meetings take centre stage this week with the US Fed meeting on Wednesday. Little change to policy is expected.
- On Thursday the Bank of England meets. The market puts a rate cut at a 50:50 probability – but the Bank may opt to keep its powder dry in case trade negotiations with the EU take a sour turn later in the year.
- Equity markets ended the week lower, impacted by concerns over the spread of the Coronavirus. Safe haven assets performed well.
- This is an important week for earnings announcements with big tech companies reporting alongside a number of healthcare, energy and industrial multinationals.
- We also have the first look at US GDP on Thursday, and on Friday personal income and spending data – good barometer of the state of the US consumer.