Economic & Strategy Viewpoint
Caspar Rock: Monday markets - the week ahead on 7 October
- Last week began badly for equities following business surveys that showed weakness in the service sector.
- Markets recovered on Thursday and Friday with US equities outperforming. Europe lagged as it missed out on Friday's late afternoon rally.
- Brexit is beginning to warm up: the agenda for the summit next week needs to be agreed by this Friday.
- Trade talks between China and the US resume. Any agreements are likely to be partial and temporary.
- Producer and consumer price indices are out this week, and markets will watch to see whether the recent strength of the core inflation rate continues. If so, this could dampen the enthusiasm of central banks to cut rates.
Important Information: This communication is marketing material. The views and opinions contained herein are those of the author(s) on this page, and may not necessarily represent views expressed or reflected in other Schroders communications, strategies or funds. This material is intended to be for information purposes only and is not intended as promotional material in any respect. The material is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument. It is not intended to provide and should not be relied on for accounting, legal or tax advice, or investment recommendations. Reliance should not be placed on the views and information in this document when taking individual investment and/or strategic decisions. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results. The value of an investment can go down as well as up and is not guaranteed. All investments involve risks including the risk of possible loss of principal. Information herein is believed to be reliable but Schroders does not warrant its completeness or accuracy. Some information quoted was obtained from external sources we consider to be reliable. No responsibility can be accepted for errors of fact obtained from third parties, and this data may change with market conditions. This does not exclude any duty or liability that Schroders has to its customers under any regulatory system. Regions/ sectors shown for illustrative purposes only and should not be viewed as a recommendation to buy/sell. The opinions in this material include some forecasted views. We believe we are basing our expectations and beliefs on reasonable assumptions within the bounds of what we currently know. However, there is no guarantee than any forecasts or opinions will be realised. These views and opinions may change. The content is issued by Schroder Investment Management Limited, 1 London Wall Place, London EC2Y 5AU. Registered No. 1893220 England. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.