Schroders Investment Weather Forecast: Emerging markets face perfect storm
Support remains for global equities
The medium-term outlook for global equities remains quite bright.
Valuations at the moment are fair, but we think that modest growth elsewhere in the world, and accommodative monetary conditions, should provide some support for earnings in the medium-term.
Emerging markets could struggle
The outlook on emerging markets is, however, much darker both for equities and fixed income. Emerging markets at the moment are going through a perfect storm. They are facing:
- A stronger dollar
- Deteriorating corporate balance sheets
- Much lower pricing power among their exporters, given the weakening demand coming from the developed world
Interest rates cloud fixed income outlook
The outlook for the fixed income market is in general overcast.
We think that some level of volatility will feed through the system as we approach the first interest rate hike in the US.
Equally we think that very benign monetary policy almost everywhere else in the world should be supportive for government bonds in the medium-term.
- What will the world look like after Covid-19?
- Can stimulus revive China’s growth story?
- ECB super-sizes asset purchases as deflation fears return
- Monthly markets review - May 2020
- Life after LIBOR – Schroders’ plan
- A new social contract - how are companies treating their employees as the Covid-19 crisis unfolds?