Quarterly markets review - Q2 2017
Quarterly markets review - Q2 2017
- Global equity markets advanced in Q2 with MSCI World returning 4.2% (in US dollars). A strong corporate earnings season and generally positive economic data supported gains, while political risk eased in Europe.
- US equities gained despite some mixed economic data and amid political uncertainty over the ability of the US administration to push through its fiscally expansive policies.
- Eurozone equities gained. Reduced political risk, positive economic data and improved corporate earnings all supported shares. Gains were capped by worries the central bank could start to tighten policy.
- UK equities made positive returns amid robust corporate earnings although it was a volatile quarter amid uncertainty over the political backdrop and the future path of monetary policy.
- Japan registered positive returns amid an encouraging corporate earnings season and an upbeat assessment from the Bank of Japan on the health of the economy.
- Emerging market equities benefited from the supportive global backdrop, outperforming developed markets. A notable exception was Russia amid a sharp decline in Brent crude prices.
- In fixed income, government bond yields were well-supported for much of the period, though a sell-off in the last week of June resulted in losses for Bunds and gilts for the quarter overall.
Important Information: This communication is marketing material. The views and opinions contained herein are those of the author(s) on this page, and may not necessarily represent views expressed or reflected in other Schroders communications, strategies or funds. This material is intended to be for information purposes only and is not intended as promotional material in any respect. The material is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument. It is not intended to provide and should not be relied on for accounting, legal or tax advice, or investment recommendations. Reliance should not be placed on the views and information in this document when taking individual investment and/or strategic decisions. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results. The value of an investment can go down as well as up and is not guaranteed. All investments involve risks including the risk of possible loss of principal. Information herein is believed to be reliable but Schroders does not warrant its completeness or accuracy. Some information quoted was obtained from external sources we consider to be reliable. No responsibility can be accepted for errors of fact obtained from third parties, and this data may change with market conditions. This does not exclude any duty or liability that Schroders has to its customers under any regulatory system. Regions/ sectors shown for illustrative purposes only and should not be viewed as a recommendation to buy/sell. The opinions in this material include some forecasted views. We believe we are basing our expectations and beliefs on reasonable assumptions within the bounds of what we currently know. However, there is no guarantee than any forecasts or opinions will be realised. These views and opinions may change. To the extent that you are in North America, this content is issued by Schroder Investment Management North America Inc., an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of Schroders plc and SEC registered adviser providing asset management products and services to clients in the US and Canada. For all other users, this content is issued by Schroder Investment Management Limited, 1 London Wall Place, London EC2Y 5AU. Registered No. 1893220 England. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.