In this month's viewpoint: Global: US growth pick up may be too much of a good thing, UK: New Year’s resolutions, Will emerging markets elect to grow? and Views at a glance.
28 January 2014
- The US economy has strong momentum having shrugged off the government shutdown, and leading indicators suggest that growth will remain robust in the first quarter of 2014. Risks are still skewed to the upside of our 3% real GDP forecast with signs that capex may also join the party as shareholders become more positive toward companies who invest.
- Stronger growth will bring lower unemployment and our view is that the US Federal Reserve will be surprised by the pace of tightening in the labour market. Demographic trends suggest participation will continue to decline even as the economy strengthens, a view at odds with Fed projections. Any monetary policy decision would also depend on an assessment of labour market slack, but a tightening would begin to curtail activity and the focus on demographics is a reminder that the factors supporting strong US growth in the past are waning.
- The UK should see GDP surpass its pre-crisis peak this year, but will do so with an over-reliance on housing and consumption. Meanwhile, the Bank of England needs to go back to basics. Forward guidance has brought nothing but confusion, and we look forward to the unemployment threshold being scrapped.
- Finally, the government needs to be more honest with the underlying state of the public finances, while the proposed increase in the minimum wage looks risky. More fiscal tightening is on the horizon.
Will emerging markets elect to grow? (page 12)
- Emerging markets have a busy election calendar this year. The Fragile Five all have elections, adding volatility to already febrile markets. The elections could be a catalyst for change in some, particularly India and Indonesia, but we see little cause for optimism elsewhere.
- A short summary of our main macro views and where we see the risks to the world economy.
Important Information: This communication is marketing material. The views and opinions contained herein are those of the author(s) on this page, and may not necessarily represent views expressed or reflected in other Schroders communications, strategies or funds. This material is intended to be for information purposes only and is not intended as promotional material in any respect. The material is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument. It is not intended to provide and should not be relied on for accounting, legal or tax advice, or investment recommendations. Reliance should not be placed on the views and information in this document when taking individual investment and/or strategic decisions. Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future results. The value of an investment can go down as well as up and is not guaranteed. All investments involve risks including the risk of possible loss of principal. Information herein is believed to be reliable but Schroders does not warrant its completeness or accuracy. Some information quoted was obtained from external sources we consider to be reliable. No responsibility can be accepted for errors of fact obtained from third parties, and this data may change with market conditions. This does not exclude any duty or liability that Schroders has to its customers under any regulatory system. Regions/ sectors shown for illustrative purposes only and should not be viewed as a recommendation to buy/sell. The opinions in this material include some forecasted views. We believe we are basing our expectations and beliefs on reasonable assumptions within the bounds of what we currently know. However, there is no guarantee than any forecasts or opinions will be realised. These views and opinions may change. To the extent that you are in North America, this content is issued by Schroder Investment Management North America Inc., an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of Schroders plc and SEC registered adviser providing asset management products and services to clients in the US and Canada. For all other users, this content is issued by Schroder Investment Management Limited, 1 London Wall Place, London EC2Y 5AU. Registered No. 1893220 England. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.