Caspar Rock: Monday markets - the week ahead on 25 November
- With Thanksgiving in the US on Thursday and the crazed shopping frenzy “Black Friday” the day after, we might see lower volumes and slightly increased volatility.
- This week's data releases include the euro area CPI estimate on Friday. On Wednesday, we get a reading on US consumer confidence alongside the second estimate of US third-quarter GDP. The GDP number is expected to confirm the preliminary forecast of 1.9%. We also have a speech from Fed Chair Powell tonight.
- Last week the eurozone flash composite PMI signalled continued weak expansion in the region.
- We also saw the minutes from the last Fed meeting which noted that the risks to the economic and inflation outlook remain tilted to the downside.
- While risks surrounding trade negotiations and geopolitical issues such as Brexit have eased, policymakers still see them as elevated.
- In the UK, the Conservative Party consolidated and increased its lead in polls.
- Equities were slightly lower last week, and bonds rallied a little along with the dollar, all of which pointed to a week that consolidated the recent rally in risk markets.
- Monetary Policy
- Market review
- Economics & strategy
- Investment team videos
- Coronavirus outbreak: tracking the economic and financial market impact
- Caspar Rock: Monday markets - the week ahead on 27 January
- The longest US economic expansion – but also the weakest
- Janet Mui: weekly economic update 24 January
- Davos 2020 and climate change: How investment risks have shifted over a decade
For Accredited Investors Only. This document is intended to be for information purposes only and it is not intended as promotional material in any respect. The material is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument and is not intended to provide and should not be relied upon for accounting, legal or tax advice, or investment recommendations.
The information in this market outlook is derived from sources which we consider to be reliable. However, it may not in all cases be verified independently and we do not attest to its completeness or accuracy. No responsibility can be accepted for errors of fact or opinion. Forecasts may be the consensus of extremely divergent possibilities and the full range of potential outcomes should be appreciated. No representation or warranty is made that any value (or proximity to) any value, return or forecast will be achieved. The opinions expressed are those of employees of Schroder & Co. (Asia) Limited, and reflect their judgement at this date and are subject to change. Reliance should not be placed on the views and information in this market outlook when taking individual investment and/or strategic decisions.
No part of this document may be reproduced in any manner without the prior written permission of Schroder & Co. (Asia) Limited.