Snapshot - Monthly viewpoint
Caspar Rock: Monday markets - the week ahead on 7 October
US-China trade talks resume. Markets will be watching upcoming inflation data as a gauge of likely central bank action, and in the UK Brexit "warms up" ahead of next week's planned summit.
- Last week began badly for equities following business surveys that showed weakness in the service sector.
- Markets recovered on Thursday and Friday with US equities outperforming. Europe lagged as it missed out on Friday's late afternoon rally.
- Brexit is beginning to warm up: the agenda for the summit next week needs to be agreed by this Friday.
- Trade talks between China and the US resume. Any agreements are likely to be partial and temporary.
- Producer and consumer price indices are out this week, and markets will watch to see whether the recent strength of the core inflation rate continues. If so, this could dampen the enthusiasm of central banks to cut rates.
- Monetary Policy
- Market review
- Economics & strategy
- Investment team videos
For Accredited Investors Only. This document is intended to be for information purposes only and it is not intended as promotional material in any respect. The material is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument and is not intended to provide and should not be relied upon for accounting, legal or tax advice, or investment recommendations.
The information in this market outlook is derived from sources which we consider to be reliable. However, it may not in all cases be verified independently and we do not attest to its completeness or accuracy. No responsibility can be accepted for errors of fact or opinion. Forecasts may be the consensus of extremely divergent possibilities and the full range of potential outcomes should be appreciated. No representation or warranty is made that any value (or proximity to) any value, return or forecast will be achieved. The opinions expressed are those of employees of Schroder & Co. (Asia) Limited, and reflect their judgement at this date and are subject to change. Reliance should not be placed on the views and information in this market outlook when taking individual investment and/or strategic decisions.
No part of this document may be reproduced in any manner without the prior written permission of Schroder & Co. (Asia) Limited.