Our story

For over 200 years, Schroders has taken many innovative steps to grow and expand its global business, placing clients at the centre of everything it does.

In 1804, at the age of 19, Johann Heinrich Schröder became a partner in the London firm founded by his elder brother Johann Friedrich Schröder.  Initially trading as commodity merchants, the first financial services offered by the brothers were short term credits for other merchants.  As the Schroder reputation grew in market places around the world so the business prospered and developed with a continual focus on innovation and delivery for its clients. 

For over 200 years, Schroders has continued to innovate, growing and expanding its business, making targeted acquisitions, entering into joint ventures and establishing itself in new markets. Schroders has built upon a reputation of trusted heritage combined with advanced thinking; and it is precisely these values which continue to underpin the firm’s success today.


Schroders acquires an 11.9% stake in Nutmeg Saving and Investment Ltd, a UK online investment manager


Schroders acquires Cazenove Capital Holdings, a leading independent wealth management and investment funds business.

Schroders acquires STW Fixed Income Management in the US.

Schroders acquires 20% of the share capital of Secquaero Advisors, a Swiss insurance linked investment manager. 


Schroders acquires 25 per cent. of the share capital of Axis Asset Management Company (Axis AMC), the Indian asset management business of Axis Bank Limited.


Schroders acquires 49% of the share capital of RWC Partners Limited.


Schroders acquires Swiss Re Asset Management Funds (Switzerland) AG, the Swiss third party fund management business of Swiss Re.

Schroders acquires the Singapore-based private client advisory unit of Commonwealth Bank of Australia.


Schroders acquires Aareal Asset Management GmbH, a pan-European real estate asset manager based in Germany.

Schroders expands its presence in the Middle East with the opening of an office in Dubai.


Schroders completes the acquisition of NewFinance Capital, a London-based manager of funds of hedge funds.


Schroders establishes a joint venture fund management company in China with Bank of Communications Co. Ltd.


Schroders celebrates its 200th anniversary.


Schroders becomes solely focussed on asset management and related businesses following the sale of its investment banking arm to Citigroup.


Schroders expands its presence in Asia Pacific with representative offices opened in China, Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand


Schroders acquires a 50% interest in Wertheim & Co. Inc., a leading New York investment bank and securities firm, renamed as Wertheim Schroder & Co. The remaining 50% is acquired in 1994. Schrobanco is sold to the Industrial Bank of Japan.

1960s – 1970s

Schroders acquires a presence in each of the major financial markets of the world. Subsidiary and associated companies are established to undertake investment banking and asset management activities in Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, Australia, Brazil, Switzerland and other Continental European countries. 

Schroders acquires Helbert, Wagg & Co., founded in 1823 and specialising in UK corporate finance and investment management. The two firms merge as J. Henry Schroder Wagg & Co. in 1962.


Schroders becomes a quoted public company and is listed on the London Stock Exchange. Helmut Schroder is appointed as Chairman and remains until 1965.


The name of J. Henry Schröder & Co. is anglicised and the partnership is converted into a private company - Schroders Ltd.


Helmut Schroder becomes the firm's senior partner. He also becomes Chairman of Schrobanco which continues to develop as an independently managed US banking firm.


J. Henry Schröder & Co. develops the investment management activities of the firm and an investment department is created.


One a consequence of the First World War, New York emerged as a financial centre to rival London. In 1923 the Schröder partners took advantage of this, establishing a firm in New York, the J Henry Schröder Banking Corporation or Schrobanco as it came to be known.


On the death of John Henry Schröder, his nephew, Baron Bruno Schröder, becomes head of the London firm.

1900 – 1914

By the beginning of the 20th century, Schroders is one of the leading banking houses in London, issuing bonds for clients in North and South America, South Africa, Russia, China, Japan and Europe.


Baron Bruno Schröder, becomes a partner.. Along with his partner, Frank Tiarks, he goes on to lead the business for the first four decades of the twentieth century.


Schroders introduces the Japanese government's first foreign loan to the London market. This raises £1 million to finance the construction of the country’s first railway, between Tokyo and Yokohama. 


Schroders' strong connections with Latin America lead to the firm being appointed as the British agent for the sale of Peruvian guano – an important fertiliser at the time. A specialist department is established to handle the guano business and for the next decade it makes a significant contribution to the firm's profits.


J. Henry Schröder & Co takes a big step forward when it begins issuing bonds for overseas borrowers in the London market. The firm's first bond is issued in 1853 to finance the Matanzas and Sabanilla Railway in Cuba.


Schröder Stiftung, a charitable trust, is launched in Hamburg.


Johann Heinrich Schröder sets up a sister firm in Hamburg.


J. Henry Schröder & Co. is established by Johann Heinrich Schröder.


The history of Schroders as we know it today begins in 1804, when Johann Heinrich Schröder becomes a partner in J. F. Schröder & Co, the London-based firm founded by his brother, Johann Friedrich Schröder, in 1800. The company prospers, focusing on the finance of trade between America and Europe, particularly in the tobacco, cotton and sugar markets.