US Core Fixed Income
Schroders Core Fixed Income strategy seeks to outperform the Barclays US Aggregate Index by 75 basis points (before fees) over an investment cycle.
The strategy seeks to generate return by investing across the full maturity spectrum of investment grade US fixed income securities, including US Treasury, agency, securitized and corporate debt. The strategy focuses on active sector rotation and security selection, duration and yield curve strategies. We use a team approach in constructing investment strategy and portfolio decisions are supported by extensive fundamental, technical and quantitative research. Sector specialist portfolio managers execute investment strategy using a relative value framework, with the goal of capitalizing on opportunities across a wide range of market conditions.
Schroders’ Core Fixed Income strategy typically maintains portfolio duration at +/- 10% of the duration of the benchmark.
The US Multi-Sector Fixed Income team is made up of several New York based portfolio managers dedicated to value-oriented fixed income investing, and are supported by an experienced team of more than 30 global credit analysts, with geographical and industry expertise.
Andrew B.J. Chorlton, CFA
Andrew Chorlton is Head of US Multi-Sector Fixed Income, based in New York. He leads the team responsible for all multi-sector strategies, including core, long duration, short duration and tax-aware strategies. Andy joined Schroders in 2013 following the acquisition of STW Fixed Income Management, where he had worked since 2007.
Edward H. Jewett
Edward Jewett is a Portfolio Manager on the US Multi-Sector Fixed Income team. Todd joined Schroders in 2013 following the acquisition of STW Fixed Income Management, where he had worked since 1988. At STW, Todd was Principal, Portfolio Manager and a member of the team responsible for managing multi-sector portfolios including core, long duration, short duration and tax-aware strategies.
Richard A. Rezek Jr., CFA
Richard Rezek Jr. is a Portfolio Manager on the US Multi-Sector Fixed Income team and a US Investment Grade corporate specialist, based in New York. Rick joined Schroders in 2013, following the acquisition of STW, where he had worked since 2002 as a Fixed Income Portfolio Manager. Prior to STW, Rick spent seven years as Vice President and Portfolio Manager at Loomis Sayles.
Neil G. Sutherland, CFA
Neil Sutherland is a Portfolio Manager on the US Multi-Sector Fixed Income team, based in New York. Neil joined Schroders in 2013 following the acquisition of STW Fixed Income Management, where he had worked since 2008. Prior to that, Neil spent seven years at AXA Investment Managers, where he was the Senior Fixed Income Portfolio Manager responsible for credit and absolute return strategies.
Julio C. Bonilla, CFA
Julio Bonilla is a Portfolio Manager on the US Multi-Sector Fixed Income team, based in New York. He serves as a municipal bond specialist and joined Schroders in 2013 following the acquisition of STW, where he had worked since 2010. Previously, Julio spent ten years with Wells Capital Management, where he was instrumental in developing their municipal derivatives strategy.
Lisa M. Hornby, CFA
Lisa M. Hornby is a US Fixed Income Portfolio Manager. Lisa joined Schroders in 2010 and is based in New York. Prior to Schroders, she was a Securitized Products P&L Analyst at Barclays Capital from 2007.
- Fixed income markets are global, interrelated and generally efficient but can overreact to events, creating investment opportunities
- We believe that a globally integrated team of research-driven bond investors is the ideal structure to take advantage of these opportunities
- Using a disciplined investment process and diversified strategies, we seek to generate consistent above benchmark returns with lower than average volatility
Our fixed income process consists of four distinct steps:
- Conduct in-depth proprietary market research (fundamental, quantitative and technical) to develop investment themes that we feel will dominate markets over the ensuing three to six month period
- Develop and prioritize investment strategies, based on investment themes, which will determine optimal portfolio positioning in three primary areas of the market: duration, yield curve exposure, and sector allocation
- Implement investment strategies within the portfolio, using a relative value framework to prioritize investment ideas and select securities.
- Continually review portfolio within rigorous risk management framework
The cornerstone of our investment process is our weekly US fixed income strategy meeting. Sector specialist portfolio managers combine the outputs from our economic, quantitative and global credit research with bottom-up issuer research to establish investment themes and resulting strategies. Macro strategy, sector allocations and overall risk budgeting are determined at this meeting. Portfolio construction, including security selection, follows and is implemented by our portfolio managers.
- Research-driven process
- Fundamental credit opinion, backed by state of the art quantitative tools
- Relative-value approach to decision making
- Experienced, specialist portfolio managers and analysts
- Risk budget varies based on expected returns, volatility and confidence
- Opportunistic, nimble approach in changing market conditions
- Separate Accounts