Multi-asset Annual Returns
For years investors have been taught that the more risk you take on, the greater the potential returns on your investment.
While this is generally true over the very long term, there will always be periods where greater risk will detract from returns – as happens when share markets are falling. This can create significant variations in returns from year to year.
Given the unpredictability of markets, diversifying your investments across shares, corporate debt, bonds, property and cash around the world, is crucial to delivering more reliable returns.
To illustrate this point, we have created the multi-asset sorter, which shows calendar-year returns for the major asset classes available to an Australian investor. Simply select your assets and use the slider to see performance across time.
- Australian EquitiesS&P / ASX 200
- Global Emerging Market EquitiesMSCI Emerging Markets A$ Unhedged
- Australian Fixed IncomeBloomberg AusBond Composite 0+Yr Index
- Australian Property TrustsS&P / ASX 200 A-REIT
- CashBloomberg AusBond Bank Bill Index
- Global EquitiesMSCI World ex Australia A$ Unhedged
- Australian CreditBloomberg AusBond Credit 0+Yr
- Global Fixed IncomeBarclays Global Aggregate A$ Hedged
- Global High YieldBarclays Global High Yield index A$ Hedged Index
- InflationABS Consumer Price Index