Schroder Real Estate Mega Themes - delivering upside potential
At the Schroder Real Estate annual media dinner yesterday evening the business unveiled its latest key Mega Themes, which underpin its real estate investment philosophy.
Duncan Owen, Global Head of Schroder Real Estate, commented:
“We believe that there are still reasons to be cheerful for investors who are willing to consider paths that are less well-trodden. Our team has been working to find real estate segments which are not only attractive today, but also have structural components that lead us to believe that they will sustain their value in the future, and offer upside potential.”
Schroder Real Estate Mega Themes:
- Rapid Urbanisation
- Resources and Power
- Shift from West to East
- Impact Investment
During the event this year, Duncan and his team highlighted the opportunities in Positive Social Impact Investment. These included:
- financing the provision of new & refurbished social supported housing in the community for adults with life-long learning disabilities, autism and mental illness to improve their quality of life and reduce the cost to the public sector of their care and accommodation
- developing new retirement communities around the UK for the over 65s which free-up larger, under-utilised residential properties for families seeking larger homes; improve the well-being and reduce the loneliness of the residents; and reduce the healthcare burden on the NHS.
A highlight of the evening was the panel discussion, hosted by Duncan Owen, Global Head of Real Estate, the panel was made up of:
- Charlie Jacques, Head of Sustainability and Impact Investment
- Mark Callender, Head of Real Estate Research
- Robin Hubbard, Head of Real Estate Capital
- Frederic de Brem, Head of Hotels
- Tom Walker, Co-Head of Global Real Estate Securities
The panel discussions included Schroders’ greater focus on private assets with the recent hires of both Georg Wunderlin and Peter Arnold. Our continued growth in the Real Estate business is achieved both organically and by acquisition and investment - most recently with our acquisition of Blue Asset Management which has added a further €1.2 billion in assets under management, a new location in Munich and an even greater presence and expertise in German, Swiss and Austrian real estate markets.
Taking on the management of a listed REIT (real estate investment trust) focused on Ground Rents has added to the team’s growth, along with the establishment of a Manchester office specialising in residential properties. In May 2018 we purchased a company called Algonquin which we have now rebranded to Schroder Real Estate Hotels. The team based in London, Paris & Brussels specialise in sourcing, managing and then realising attractive, risk-adjusted investments in 3-5* hotels with a high operational component across Continental Europe and the UK.
For further information, please contact:
Nicole Carey, International PR +44 (0)20 7658 4466 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Estelle Bibby, Head of Media Relations +44 20 7658 3431 | estelle.bibby@Schroders.com
Note to Editors
For trade press only. To view the latest press releases from Schroders visit: http://ir.schroders.com/media
- Coronavirus and the world economy: recent research from the economics team
- What are the credit opportunities in a low-yield environment?
- Economic and Strategy Viewpoint - February 2020
- Seven reasons why London will thrive regardless of Brexit
- UK Real Estate market commentary - Q4 2019
- Continental European real estate market commentary: Q4 2019